By Xiaoyuan Huang, L.Ac.
The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that 15 million people suffer from stroke every year worldwide. Stroke is the third leading cause of death and the major cause of adult disability in the United States. Most people well know that acupuncture is very good at treating pain conditions. But do you know Acupuncture can also help people recover from stroke? Acupuncture is one of the most important treatments for stroke patients in China, Japan, South Korea, and other east countries.
Acupuncture can benefit the following symptoms that people with stroke-related conditions are dealing with:
- Problems with movement and balance
- Problems with sense of touch or ability to feel
- Pain, numbness, or tingling in limbs
- Speech, language and swallowing problems
- Vision problems
- Urinary or bowel problems
- Memory and cognitive problems
- Emotional problems.
How acupuncture can work in post-stroke? Recent studies of acupuncture treatment in stroke shows the mechanisms:
- Acupuncture treatment can improve blood flow.
- Acupuncture can improve the elasticity of the cerebral arteries and improve blood supply to the brain lesion.
- Acupuncture can improve the basic electrical activity of cortical cells, causing the clinical symptoms of stroke patients improved rapidly.
- Acupuncture can improve the body microcirculation, promote recovery of limb function.
- Acupuncture can lower blood lipid and improve immune function.
When is the best time for acupuncture treatment for stroke?
The best time to start acupuncture treatment for stroke rehabilitation is determined by the type of the stroke. It is better to start acupuncture treatment as soon as possible for an ischemic stroke. However, a few days delay is suggested for hemorrhagic stroke until the bleeding blood vessel has clotted before the acupuncture treatment.
If you are suffering from and struggling with stroke or have some post-stroke conditions, please give acupuncture a try, you will not be disappointed!